Monday, September 5, 2011

Walking Meditation...

Excerpts from the book Under the Banyan Tree - Thich Nhat Hanh
Why do I have to run? I am at peace with myself. I am at peace with everything else. I experience the joy of aparahita, aimlessness. I don't have any aim. I don't run after anything...

Mindfulness helps us to be born again and to be really alive, so that we can live out every minute, every moment of our daily life, in the deepest way. To meditate does not mean to run away from life or to be cut off from reality. To meditate is to make a return, to make a comeback. It is to go back and to touch life deeply, to arrive. You have arrived in the present moment. To arrive, please remember, is in the here and the now. Because it is only in the here and the now that life is available. To walk, to practice walking meditation as such is to walk without the intention to arrive if we are to use the word arrival. We have arrived in the here.

Talking about destination, we should ask why we are always in a hurry to arrive. What is our destination? What is our final aim? Our final destination is our own death, it is the crematory. Why do we have to hurry to go there? I don't want to go in the direction of death. I only want to go in the direction of life. And what is the direction? It is the present moment because life, the address of life, is the present moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment